Monday, April 18, 2011

# 19 Colloquium Class Experience

The Colloquium class really helped me realize how I am affecting the environment in my everyday life.  I have been able to take a step back and think about my impact and how I need to change how I do certain things in my personal, academic, and future career.  I am now shutting off my lights more, as well as unplugging electric outlets when they are not in use.  I conserve water a lot more at home, especially when I wash the dishes.  I think about how much water I am actually wasting.  Instead of taking an hour to blow-dry my hair, I let it air-dry a lot more often.  It does take much longer, but I feel like it is helping.  Colloquium has also helped me with academics.  In class, when I used to take notes, I used to always use only one side of the lined paper.  Also, in my classes which allow me to use my computer during class, I use my computer to take notes instead of wasting paper.  I also took online classes for the first time when I transferred to Florida Gulf Coast University.  I feel that online classes do help with the environment with driving reasons this would save much use of students’ giving to class all the time.   For my job, I work about thirty minutes from my house.  That is at least one hour driving time a day, five days a week.  If I was able to work at a place near my house, in my position, then I would.  It is just hard right now, especially in my field.  I could move, but I love where I live.  So, right now I am just going to have to drive an hour a day for work. Hopefully one day it would change.  The way I think has changed since I have taken Colloquium, and I plan on educating everyone I know on the things I learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment