Monday, April 18, 2011

# 17 The Nature of the Everglades

The “Nature of the Everglades”, by Marjory Stoney Douglas, basically talks about what makes it the Everglades and everything non-living and living thing in it. It was a nice and easy read and made me think about when I went to the Everglades to see the Everglades and alligators one day a few summers ago.  She talks about the different seasons and what happens throughout each season and how each season helps the Everglades stay being Everglades.  She is absolutely correct.  When I went to the Everglades, it was summer time, and I went on an air-boat tour.  Ii saw many alligators, but had to stay on one of the lakes, because it was too dry to go deeper into the swamp land.  My mother and aunt went the year before, but they went a few months later.   They told me that the water was much higher and they were able to go deeper into the swamps and trees, and they were able to see a lot more alligators.  I can remember some of the trees and animals she talks about in the chapter, as well as all the water-life.  I would like to go back to the Everglades again on an air boat and actually pay more attention to the different trees and look beyond the lake area into the mangroves.  It is a pretty neat thing to think about.  It is a completely different atmosphere.  They are not just a bunch of swamps, but an area much more than that, and I am glad I live so close to them, to have the chance to visit them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment