Monday, April 11, 2011

#14 Calusa Nature Center and Planetarium

Volunteering at the Calusa Nature Center and Planetarium was a great experience and I am glad I picked it as my Service Learning hours for Colloquium. There were animals I was able to see that i have never seen before, such as some of the different types of birds, and a cobra snake.  It was also pretty neat to see the pigs, because there were a bunch of little piglets which seemed to just be born.  It was fun being able to walk through all the trails.  I picked up every piece of trash I saw, but it still didn’t seem like much.  They must keep that place kept up very well.  The walk was very relaxing, it gave me a chance to reflect a lot and pay attention more to my surroundings.  The Planetarium was also a very cool place to clean.  I had the chance to explore the back office and to see how everything works when they actually put shows on.  It looks like a little IMAX theatre.  Counting inventory was sort of annoying for me.  It took be able three hours just to count inventory in the gift shop.  The gift shop wasn’t that big, but there were a lot of small items, and I did not know the names of certain items, and that is what took the most time.  They had everything from books, stuffed animals, finger puppets, honey, and little toys.  Once I finished I felt so relieved.  It was a long day at the center, but very fulfilling.  I learned a lot, and once I left, my supervisor gave me a couple free passes to come back and enjoy it one day.  I plan on going again sometime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment