Wednesday, March 30, 2011

#12 My Ecological Footprint

 I took the Ecological Footprint quiz at http://www.myfootprint.org/en/.  My results were for if everyone on earth lived my lifestyle, then we would need 6.51 earths. There are many things that I would be willing to change to reduce my ecological footprint and promote conservation. The mileage I use in my car is about 15,000 miles or more a year. Most of those miles are due to work, so I wouldn’t be able ride my bike, but if I were to just want to go over to my parents, I would ride my bike or run there. I am also going to have my car checked regularly, so it will run more efficiently. I plan on going through my house and changing all my light bulbs to compact fluorescent bulbs to save energy. I usually unplug my appliances when not in use, but sometimes I just forget, so I will make it so I will always remember to unplug my appliances when they are not in use. I’ve also always wanted to grow my own garden. Right now with school and work all the time, I really don’t have time to take care of a garden, but once I graduate I plan on growing my own.  I also want to stop eating so much meat. I love meat, all kinds, but I want to start eating more vegetables. Also, I would like to start eating more fresh vegetables and fruits instead of frozen or canned. This will help a lot more with waste and the amount of trash I throw out. I do recycle, but I don’t do it enough. These some of the things I would be willing to change to reduce my ecological footprint.  I know it doesn’t sound like much, but it’s a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment